He was not a perfect man, but I am convinced the older I get that there is no such thing. If there is anyone I would like to be like, it is him. We are so different in so many ways and yet and I can see the influence he has had on me in just about everything that I do. I told someone recently that one of the greatest things he taught me was how to treat people. People that can do nothing for you and people that can change your life. Treat them all with respect. Because of his example, I have relationships with people who are amazing.
As Abigail and I have prepared ourselves for the current transition, it is innumerable the number of times that I have thought, "I wish I could talk to daddy about this." He may not have always understood or trusted my decisions, but one thing is for sure, he would not lie to me.
He loved Jesus more than anything else in his life. Anyone who spent a few minutes with him would find out that the most important thing in life is the Holy Spirit and everything else will fall into place.
I can remember like it was yesterday going with him to prayer meetings and listening to him pray and how much I hated being there, but how much more I love him today because he forced me to go. His tears in prayer now lead me to a place of commitment. I can follow his trail of tears that had everything to do with how much he loved Jesus.
For those of you reading this, it is a little disjointed and may not flow well, but you have to forgive me, I'm just typing what is coming to my mind.
Without knowing how things are perceived in the afterlife, I would simply say, "Daddy, I love you." Maybe he hears and maybe he doesn't, but one thing I know, he loved me and that I will never wonder.
Happy Birthday Daddy.